Tuesday, June 07, 2005

What Makes Me Cry.

I have a deep, dark confession to make...

Something that my husband has only recently discovered...

I get all soft and goowey - sentimental and sappy - and cry


over


Sports movies!!!

I confess, I am a sports movie sap. I always cry at the end, when the under-dog is in the final, they are coming from behind, the movies slows to a pace that approximates real life x 10, and the hero pulls out an impressive, game changing play. It gets me every time.

Tonight, my darling took me to Cinderella Man. I knew I was done for from the previews. I used to watch boxing on Saturday mornings when I was a kid, along with real wrestling. I loved Rocky... I used to practice box with my brother and sister... I think if the situation was different, if it were a different time or if we lived in a different city, I might have taken up boxing. Perhaps not - I'm not sure I would have the killer instinct to actually hit someone hard enough to hurt them.

Anyway, E is now sorry for taking me. Not only did his hand receive the brunt of my tense emotional climax during the boxing scenes, but he will continue to receive a jabs to the shoulder over the next few days, as I play out my own boxing fantasy.

It is his own fault.

He should know better!

9 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Well, I confess I also do that - but for some reason, I don't feel ashamed about it. Perhaps because it is real and not preprogramed to force emotion out of me...

For instance - I always feel a few tears coming on when the Canadian anthem is played at a major event like the Olymics - or the Grey Cup!

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger TU said...

Oh yeah, I get that too. And I did feel some emotions coming on when I watched Cinderella Man.

But here's a little trick. When ever I feel the tears coming I just think of the Simpsons episode where Hans Moleman gets hit in the groin with a football.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Warren said...

Steve Buscemi rules. I want to write a movie script to reunite Steve Buscemi and Scarlett Johanssen, and in this one, Steve Buscemi's character gets to sleep with Scarlett Johanssen's character, and there won't be any sports. Sorry, Erica.

Warren
[A friend of tim's]

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger reppepper said...

A Football in the Groin. It works on so many levels!!

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger mimlap said...

SOme might say that Scarlet Johanssen has a small penis!

Some might say!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Thanks for the tip, timlap! I'll remember that and laugh histerically and some very serious and inappropriate moment at the next movie... I'm sure it will make the papers!

And yes - SJ does have a small penis! But don't we all!

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Eric said...

This is getting way too personal. Let's get back to discussing body hair.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Eric said...

To.... many...... comments.....

Not enough balls to post them...

tee hee (blush)

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Well,

I waited a full 5 minutes before deciding to let all y'all know that the last comment was from me.

Somehow leaving the perception that Eric said tee hee (blush) was greatly amusing to me.

Speaking of balls - you should see the fancy one I got for E today - for free!!! They're titanium.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home