Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Extreme Makeover Made me a Better Person?!?!

Hi all,

Just me on my soap box on another message from society. I was watching extreme makeover on three sisters who had major plastic surgery so they would look better. Of course, this type of show appeals to the side of me that would love for someone to wave their magic wand (or in this case scapel) and make me gorgeous in the eyes of society.

However, as I was watching and listening to the responses, the comment about becoming a better person struck me. How, in the world, do you become a "better person" by becoming more physically attractive? I thought becoming a better person meant learning, being more giving or generous, becoming nicer, less judgemental, etc., etc.

But that message is loud and clear in our society - if you are "prettier" then you will be a better person, have a better life, gain friends and influence people. Unfortunately part of that is true. There are stats to show that many parts of our society judge based on appearance - and reward accordingly. However, overall, can our lives be automatically better with a little plastic surgery?

I think not! If we want a more fulfilling, exciting or adventurous life - we can do that by choosing activities and goals that fit with that. If we want to be more outdoorsy - then start going camping, hiking, etc. If you want to see new places, meet interesting people, and learn about the world - then travel, put yourself out there, read or do research... But our commercial world would tell us that the answer to many of these lifestyles in found in the latest diet or plastic surgery. I wonder how these people feel months or years later, when they have reverted back to their old life patterns and find that their life is no more exciting or fulfilling then it was before the surgery?

Now, to put this in balance - I do see a place for healthier eatting & exercize as part of a plan to a better life - and I can see a place for appearance altering surgery as part of an overall healing process (especially in abuse cases)... But these are not "thee answer" that I think is being pushed on us - or atleast I feel has been pushed on me.

So that is my soapbox for today.

1 Comments:

At 7:24 AM, Blogger Heimdahl said...

Maybe there is something in here about human nature and change...
As "good" people we advocate for choice and gentle "lasting" changes.
We know diets don't work for us and bad habits persist but in church in others lives (and our own) we work at change.
Great Chnages, lasting changes are usually done by the bold, the ambitious, those focissed on their own goals and not those worrying about the effects of the process on those being changed.
"No pain no gain"?
Maybe society needs a surgical, extreme makeover not a gentle nudge towards a better way?
I wouldn't know for sure - I'm "a nice guy" who can't diet nor stick to an exercise plan nor change the world.

A

 

Post a Comment

<< Home