Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Scales are bad!

Well, that might be an overgeneralization...

I had my first "post-assessment" session with the Eatting Disorder Clinic. It ended up being shorter because I was late. I was late because I "needed" to get work done for everyone else, and felt justified in taking time away from my own personal time... But then I felt guilty for making my counsellor wait...

What I found out - I have issues with - not taking time for myself (therefore I self-reward with food) and guilt! Also disappointment in self, really bad body image or body acceptance, and having perfectionist expectations for myself that could I never live up to, thus I give up and beat myself up about it. Interesting!

We didn't get into much detail. However we reviewed some testing that I had done the previous week which pointed out areas in which I am doing well and areas in which I need to work on. That was useful and encouraging. My past assessment of doing better was measured solely on the scale. If I lost, I was doing well. If I gained, I was failing. Since I am likely at the same weight I was 3 years ago, I haven't gotten any better... BUT, after looking at the assessment data, I was able to pick out areas in which I have improved over the past three years, even if I don't see the results on the scale.

Like - I am much better at recognizing hunger and fullness. I can usually figure out what I am feeling (I used to just know that I felt like eatting). I am not as tied to an image of how I should look. And I have totally decided against any type of food restriction. I see all these as areas inwhich I have improved over the past 3 years.

So, I have work to do, but I am feeling very positive about it right now!

1 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Erica said...

You know, there have been times when I wondered what we did without bathroom scales... I mean, in 1935, did people have bathroom scales? I think not...

I found that when I was working out, I didn't lose weight, but I was wearing different sized clothes. That last part didn't seem to matter to me because the scale didn't go down.

Isn't that silly?

That is just plain silliness!

Oh the silliness!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home