Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I Am A Rock (with sources)

I Am A Rock (2:50)
P. Simon, 1965
Recorded by: Simon & Garfunkel
Sounds of Silence album, released 1966
Also on their "Greatest Hits" released by Columbia 31350: June 1972; "Definitive Simon & Garfunkle", released by Sony, January 1, 1992 and "The Best of Simon & Garfunkel" re-released by Sony, November 16, 1999 (among others)
As found on http://sglyrics.myrmid.com/sounds.htm
www.lyricsfreak.com/s/simon-and-garfunkel/124809.html
polyticks.com/home/Visions/IAmARock.htm
www.sing365.com/.../ I-Am-A-Rock-lyrics-Me-First-and-the-Gimme-Gimmes/FF68F484259404D448256C5400137792
setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/~aparsons/ guitar/guitar.py.cgi?song=Simon_and_Garfunkel_-_I_Am_A_Rock


A winter's day
In a deep and dark December
I am alone
Gazing from my window
To the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow

I am a rock
I am an island

I've built walls
A fortress deep and mighty
That none may penetrate
I have no need of friendship
Friendship causes pain
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain

I am a rock
I am an island

Don't talk of love
Well I've heard the word before
It's sleeping in my memory
I won't disturb the slumber
Of feelings that have died
If I never loved I never would have cried

I am a rock
I am an island

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me
I am shielded in my armor
Hiding in my room
Safe within my womb
I touch no one and no one touches me

I am a rock
I am an island

And a rock feels no pain
And an island never cries

>> I really liked this song as a teen - and when things are rough, I return to it like a security blanket - or perhaps a "womb"...

5 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Yes - I did!!!

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Or, rather, typed it!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Eric said...

I referenced it last time you posted a Simon and Garfunkel song! There is nothing quite like the lonely imagery of a rock which while it will stay standing, it also cannot soften. Or the image of an island which is always alone no matter what currents move around it.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger mimlap said...

I don't have much to say, just wanted you to know I don't really care about referencing pieces that everyone knows where they came from!

ML

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Erica said...

THANK YOU!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home