Thursday, September 29, 2005

Disappointing News

I received some disappointing news today - sorry, I can't share the details with the general public... but, I am forever facinated with my response to disappointing news.

My usual first reaction is quite calm - I accept the information, process it, look for rationality to it, do what has to be done in the present and move on...

Then it hits - disappoinment, anger, the intense desire to go back in time and change things. This usually leads to a bit of an obsession - I go back and revisit everything, research what I could have done differently, take action - even if there is no action to take.

When I am in a situation where there is nothing more I can do, I feel at a loss - I want to "do" something to make it better, but there is nothing I can do but accept it, learn from it, and hopefully do better next time...

Then there is God - I know he is involved in our lives, and I take some comfort from reassuring myself that He might have a better plan for me - perhaps there is another opportunity or something is going to happen... or maybe this wasn't the right thing for me - and I would have been more miserable as a result...

But, then there is another side - what if the "reason" provided wasn't the full truth. What if there is more to it that I'm not seeing. What if how others perceive me isn't how I think others perceive me. What if, what if, what if...

Do you know how to quiet the "what if's" of life?

Anyway, I know this is somewhat criptic, but it has been helpful for me to share all this with you (whoever you are). I am disappointed. I am a bit angry and frusterated. Yet, I am hopeful for future possibilities.

3 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger Eric said...

For a while I was more disappointed than you, but I think you have surpassed me now.

It seems like the more important something is to us the more we will internalize and rationalize and not deal with our feelings and emotions over it.

I found rejection very difficult to handle and couldn't even apply for jobs for a little bit (and still sometimes find some of the bitterness over that creeping in, even when the rejection was rational).

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Black Mamba said...

It's ok to just be angry for a while.
Being too eager to force ourselves into "peace" with something may just make it worse later.
I'm sorry to hear about this stuff. It all sucks :(
grrrr! GRRRR!

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Ya, I was really calm yesterday for most of the day... today I'm even more annoyed... I don't want the new opportunity - I wanted that one. So, I guess I'll work through this for a few days.

Double GRRRR from me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home