Sunday, June 12, 2005

Some of the Reasons I Eat

There is a Randy Travis song "Some of the Reasons I Cheat"... I thought of this tune as I wrote the title for this blog. Perhaps I'll have to do an Erica version of his song to my title... could be interesting.

In my search for health, I have found out that I eat to protect myself. When I start loosing and looking better - and people start commenting - I really want to eat. (I have some theories on this that I'll share in my next blog)

When I am not losing and people are not commenting - I get depressed and really want to eat.

When life gets busy and hectic - and life seems unmanageable - I really want to eat.

When I have an arguement with E and feel unloved - I really want to eat.

When I think that my family doesn't want to be around me, when I feel my parents are disappointed in me, or that I am unacceptable to them - I really want to eat.

When it is time to give myself a break, celebrate an achievement or have a fun time with friends or family - I really want to eat.

When we buy cookies or chocolates, or basically any treat that I like and the boys are eating it all up - I really want to eat (for fear of missing out).

On Sunday night... well now Monday night... and I think about having to go to work the next day... I really want to eat.

So I figure - it's not what I eat - it is why.

But perhaps there could be worse things. Not that it makes it right, but that if I can stop beating myself up about, maybe it would be one less thing I eat about.

Just a thought!

9 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger Black Mamba said...

We are socialized to eat(or drink or smoke) for all the reasons you named. I myself have struggled with all those same things.

We are socialized to ease our pain, as quickly as possible, with whatever does the job. This is of course the "short-term" approach to lifes problems.

For me, working on building up my self-esteem, working through some issues and breaking down depressive thoughts did a world of good.

It's not about food, it's about feelings.

Anyway, I am not "cured" of my food addiction by any means, just really concious of being mentally healthly.

Struggle forth and conquer!!

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Yes - some drink, some do drugs, some "do sex" - I eat... I almost feel like its an addiction - like the person who always needs a beer in their hand - but for me it is a fudge brownie or plate of natchos.

It is almost impossible to imagine having a celebration, or even a night out, without food involvement... And, I've also noticed that about 50% of the commercials are about food...

Kitkat - give yourself a break...
Mountain Dew - do the Dew (and be adventurous and cool)
The Keg - if you come out, you'll suddenly be surrounded by friends
The Olive Garden - when you are here you're family...

Such are the promises of food.

I guess awareness is the first step...

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger TU said...

I find the hardest times not to eat unhealthy things is when I'm with anyone else and they want to eat out or when I'm bored.

Maybe people need to fight things like this by banding with other people (or "community", eh Mim? *wink*). I've started to maybe see a bit of a bond forming with my roommate in that way. We both have similar goals and similar struggles when it comes to eating.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Eric said...

I'm so disappointed with the addictions thing. When looking at the possibilities I think one of the others ones would have been much more interesting...

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger mimlap said...

I also am a fellow food addict. I eat to feel reward or not alone. I have felt alone so much of my life and the times I was not alone, was with my family and we eat in my family so I associate food with being loved or being not alone.

I do feel strongly however that food is not bad, there is no bad food. God gives us creativity and inventive minds to create yummy food - this is a good thing. It is about finding the source emotion and helping ourselves to deal with that. Maybe that is what we can do as a community...support and accept each other enough that we start to heal some of the wounds that make us eat. This sounds so Dr. Phil but I really do think this helps. Since I have know all y'all, I have actually been doing a little better with a few of my eating issues.

Another thing I think we should do is adopt a sport we could all play together in a leage (that is not hockey) a sport that we can get good at and kick some butt in T-BAY! OR maybe hockey should be opened up to the women? hmmm food for thought he he

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger reppepper said...

I believe that Fri night hockey *is* open to women as long as they are 16+ and we can sort out the dressing room situation. We certainly have had a female goalie (a "girlie"? Ooo ... bad).

But it's not a league and I doubt we'd kick anyone's buttocks.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Hi Erica :-)

One of the reasons I eat is that I truly love food--the preparation of it as well as the eating of it. I talk to people who forget to eat and I SOOOO cannot relate. I see spinach and I'm formulating a hot spinach dip in my mind and the next thing I know I'm in the cheese section of the grocery store with the 4 cheeses necessary to make it.

The word diet stresses me out. I can't fathom the lack of variety!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Personally - I've given up dieting... Even when I try to "watch" my intake and exercize more - I last about a week and then, inevidably, rebell...

So, I've decided that just isn't the answer for me!

And - you're right - there are just so many good things out there...

I must try them!

Try them all... ahhhhhh!

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Richard according to the stories we have been told Ellie used to play Friday night hockey too.

I enjoy the taste of the food for a very short period of time while I am eating. It is not very long before the taste is not as extravgant or I am no longer as sensitive to it. Then I just eat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home