Thursday, January 18, 2007

Ruth - I really like her!

I read Ruth last night (you know - book of the old testement)...

I have always like Ruth. I think I know why. Where as other stories about women - especially women who "get the guy" seem to focus on their insurpassible beauty, with a side note to other characteristics.

What do we know about Ruth - she was from Moab, she was previously married, but childless - a widow. We can surmise that she was likely not of "marrying age" for that generation, but probably not all that old... but we can't really be sure of much about her - except that she was known for her kindness.

While she may have been, she isn't portrayed as the radiant beauty who turns heads when she enters a room. Rather, she is a good and kind person. It seems to be repeated throughout the book.

I'm not sure if I have a point - other then I think I like the story so much because it reassures me that there is value in kindness - value that can even be recognized by a good man - beyond the exterior.

That doesn't seem to be a message we get a lot today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home