Friday, December 01, 2006

Money, Garbage, cause and effect (or affect?)

I caught myself the other day being effected by money...

Garbage collection, here in Kenora, is a bit different. You pay for tags so that your garbage will get picked up. It works out to about $2 per bag. However, the recycle people will pick up your recyclables (if they are sorted) for free!

Now, I would like to think that I recycle for moral/ethical reasons - it is the right thing to do, less wasteful, better for the environment, etc., etc. But there are certain things I don't do - like if I don't find a recycle bin right away, I just throw things in the garbage. If something is dirty and I would have to wash it before putting it in the recycling, I just throw it in the garbage... In other words, I recycle so long as it is convenient to me.

But when I learned how garbage worked in Kenora, I started thinking about how we could reduce the number of garbage bags by recycling more... thus using fewer of our $2 garbage bag tickets...

I guess my actions are effected by money afterall.

BTW E and I discussed the use of effect vs affect in this blog posting. I am sure that R will correct us, leading into a huge discussion on the use of english grammar - but DON'T LET THAT PULL YOU AWAY from the real, life changing issues at hand - which are money... and garbage... and reading my blog...

6 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger reppepper said...

R will not correct you, just to prove you wrong.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger reppepper said...

besides maybe you were not incorrect, after all.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger reppepper said...

...or were you?

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Heimdahl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Heimdahl said...

Money and Garbage will no doubt effect an affect change as will this response.
/picturing your expressions :)\
A

and I refuse to proofread or preview preferring to delete my own typos as I slide though life!

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger mimlap said...

Just wanted to say that I have nothing to say about Garbage but that I am reading blogs again and wanted to let you know. How does that effect all y'all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home