Monday, March 26, 2007

Another Glimpse?

We have been blessed with three boys - two through birth - Haaken & Liam, and one who came to live with us when he was 15 - Greg. I love them all and hope the best for them.

I know each of them have weaknesses, but they all have so much potential. I want them to be successful and happy in life. I want them to have positive relationships with others and especially to find that special relationship with a woman who will help them through life (but not until they are 30). I want them to find that thing in life that will give them purpose and meaning. I want them to love God and to see them in Heaven.

In short - I feel about all of them the same way I am sure most parents feel about their children.

However, the reality of life is that not everyone else feels the same way about my kids as I do. Not everyone treats them like I feel they should be treated. Sometimes people make assumptions about who they are - what their potential is - or what their value is - in a way that is less then what I expect.

Sometimes people do or say things that hurt them - and that hurts me - greatly!

And it is very difficult to be friendly to others when they have hurt one of my kids. It is hard to treat people with respect when they see my kids in less of a light then I see them - or when someone treats one of them not as well as another. Because - not only to I love them - but they are a reflection of me and my choices for them.

I think that is also a natural reaction for most parents.

When I really think about all of that - it kind of starts to make sense that God has trouble when we show partiality for or discrimination against some his children - His creation. Whereas my love and my view of my children is imperfect (I lose my temper and patience and make many mistakes) - His is perfect. He sees the potential in each of us and loves us - including those of us who might be considered obnoxious, difficult to live with, dirty, smelly, etc.. People I might tend to look down upon; people I might tend to hold up: They are all God's kids.

He loves us all. equally. period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home