Sunday, May 08, 2005

Mothers' Day

Today was Mothers' - for those of you who may have forgot - you can still run out and order flowers for Monday! Anyway, Mothers' Day is not one of my favorite days. It seems to be a day that we celebrate all that is "motherly" - the woman who tireless sacrifices her self to take care of her children by making their lunch, fixing their boo-boos, doing their laundry and making sure they have a wonderful safe environment to come home to. Even the working mothers of the 80s (like my Mom) were these types of women who seem to make the home wonderful - and their work was secondary. This all reminds me of my complete inadequacy in this department. Don't get me wrong - I do my fair share. I am a good provider, I ensure we have a house over our heads, that the bills get paid, that we can take vacations once in a while. I just don't feel like a woman.

There is a voice in my head that keeps telling me that I'm not a real woman. A real woman would be so wonderful that she would have someone to take care of her. She would be able to do all these things - like organize her home, bake cookies all the time, clean clothes, fix boo-boos, etc. I feel like crap when my son asks if we can bake cookies and I am just too tired after a stressful day at the office. In my head - I know this isn't realistic. In my head I know that I am a hard worker and contributor to our family. But in my heart, I feel like a failure as a woman. And Mothers' Day is just a big reminder of that. Even the comics in the paper are all about women who are wonderful care-givers... It reminds me that I am not normal.

I totally respect women who do work at home, especially those who make that choice to stay at home over furthering their career. I think our society needs more of that - families who make the choice to have a caregiver at home. Our kids need that. In our family, that is my husband. He is a great dad. But I really wish I could have the opportunity to stay at home myself. As each days passes and our boys grow up a little more, I see that opportunity slipping away. And I have so many ideas of how to make our home life better - to get our house in order and our lives more efficient. But I just don't have the energy or time to do any of it. Every day that I come home and it is a mess, or if we lose an important piece of paper, or if we miss a key date in my sons' school agenda - I take it as another personal failure. Another way I have let everyone down. When people come over to our house, I feel like I'm being judged for the state it is in. When people give me advice on how to get things in order, i feel like they must think I am too lazy or stupid to have order in my house - that I am a bad mother and wife. That I am a bad person.

The little voice says "if you worked harder, you could get things in order, you could make life better for your family - then they would have something worthy of appreciating." I feel I am not enough - and perhaps they feel the same. Perhaps that is why I never feel appreciated - because I am not worthy of it. Perhaps that is why I feel like the older people in my life are always looking down on me. Perhaps that is why life seems so overwhelming and impossible and lonely.

Or maybe I just need to kill the little voice.

2 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Blogger Black Mamba said...

Yes, Erica, you need to kill the little voice!
Kill him!! (shakes fist)

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Eric said...

The problem with living counter-cultural is that we don't have the same measuring sticks that people around us have. "What makes a man, what makes a woman?" this changes when you are not living the way society expects. Sometimes you just need to take what the little voice is saying and write it out. Write it on a sheet of paper and after you have gotten it all out, burn it. Destory the evidence (maybe it is a way to "kill the voice").

None of us measure up to what "society" expects, but that is probably why our little community is able to be so close (even though at times we feel very alone).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home